5 Major Silambam CAtegories
10Levels of Silambam performer
Assistant Team Leader
Primary silamban has to learn:
- Basic Physical Exercise
- Foot Steps
- Basic Silambam Moves in Stick Silambam (Nednkambu, Nadnkambu and Kadikambu)
- Basic Techniques in Hand Silambam.
Middle silamban has to learn:
- Basic Silambam Move in Double Sticks.
- Advance Silambam Techniques (Bhaski, Kiruki and Sapti)
- Direction Salute in Stick Silambam and Hand Silambam
- Adivarsai in Stick Silambam (Stick Fighting).
Trained silamban has to learn:
- Lessons in Stick Silambam with Weapon Sticks (Vel kambu, Sun and Moon Kambu).
- Advanced Techniques in Adivarisai (Stick Fighting).
- Lessons in Hand Silambam.
- Advanced Techniques in Surul Sword.
Assistant Team Leader
Assistant Team Leader has to learn:
- Lessons in Half Stick.
- Attacking and Defending techniques in Adivarasai(Stick Fighting).
- Pavala’s with different kind of weapons.
- Advance Techniques in Double Surul Swords.
- Basic Techniques in Throw Silambam.
Team Leader has to learn:
- Lessons in Sword Silambam.
- Advanced Techniques in Fire Silambam.
- Attacking and Defensive Techniques with weapons.
- Advanced Techniques in Throw Silambam.
- Has to be trained Assistant Team Leader.
Assistant Master has to learn:
- Advanced Techniques in the Hand Silambam.
- Attacking and Defensive Techniques in Deer Horn.
- Attacking and Defensive Techniques in Sword Silambam.
- Has to be trained Team Leader and Assistant Team Leader.
Master has to learn:
- Teaching techniques in Silambam.
- Locks in Hand Silambam.
- Locks and unlocks with all weapons.
- Has to be trained Assistant Master, Two Team Leader and Two Assistant Team Leader.
Master Seekhamani has to be trained Two Masters.
Master Seronmani has to be trained Two Master Seekhamani.
Grand Master has to be trained two Master Seronmani.
Silambam Art – Its Beginning & Development
In his theory of Evolution of Man Darwin has asserted that the human species evolved from apes. The world has accepted this theory. Man with such a lineage struggled hard for getting his food, dwelling and to exist in general (struggle for existence). Survival of the fittest, being the objective condition in which he was precariously placed by nature, man began to use implements made of dry wood from tree branches, sharp tipped stones, pieces of animal bones and hoofs in order to defend himself from harmful animals and while hunting for food.
In course of time the pre-historic man who lived a animal level life began to bring orderliness in his use of his self defense implements by establishing definite steps, rules and techniques. This was to be the sowing of the first seeds for Martial Arts. The seedlings branched out gregariously like a massive banyan tree of Martial Arts.
Our Silambam Art is the main root of the tree. Silambam is a traditional marital art of Tamilnadu which comprises swirling, rotating and making swirling attacks and defending oneself by swirling. Besides these Silambam has many other unique facets. It is a powerful traditional art of Tamilnadu.
During the times of the Chola, Chera,Pandiya and Pallava rule, the kings used Silambam as part of war training. In the period of freedom struggles small hold kings like Marthunayagam, Poolitheven, Theeran Chinnamalai, Kattapomban, Marthu Pandiyar and etc., use Silambam against British peoples. Although Silambam Art throws on the Mindy mystical images of weapon training involving threatening fireballs, these can be handled with ease and mastery by expert training and mental strength. Silambam is hence a valiant sport.
Get IN Shape
Real Work. Real Results.
Silambam is also called as Silambattam, Silamba Sandai, Silamba Vilaiyattu, Thadivarisai, Thalinam Vilayattu, Sadhanaiyattam, Kavandhu Aatam, Kerudiyattam, Kazhiattam, Valtiyada, Valdi Jekada and Pana Aatam.It is called as Laati in Maharashtra, Dalakkadi in Gujarat, Keradi Aatam in Andhra, Neduvadi and Kalari in Neduvadi. In English it is called as Stickbite , Po jn Japan and as Latikeela in Bengal.
No Pain, No Gain